The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Marvelous Mystery Oil? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9933)

Tom from Drippin' 08-06-2010 10:23 AM

Marvelous Mystery Oil?

Some have reported adding to gas.
What is it suppose to do? And....how much in 10 gal. tank?

Logan 08-06-2010 10:30 AM

Re: Marvelous Mystery Oil?

It lubricates the valve train better than just regular old engine oil will. it is suppose to make your valves last longer in the long run. Ive never heard of someone actually say a set amount to put in per gas fill up. But if i were to use it every time i filled up i would say roughly 6-8 fl oz. Its not to much, but its enough to lubricate.

Special Coupe Frank 08-06-2010 11:10 AM

The container has recommendations for how much to add to the fuel tank ( believe it's on the order of 2 oz to 10 gallons Gasoline ).

Folks with Model L Gravely tractors swear by to prevent the exhaust valve from sticking open...

Never heard of it doing any harm.

I use it in my old iron; have never sprung for the "Marvel Inverse Oiler" ( or Ampco Cylidner Lubricator )... just add to fuel.

Mitch//pa 08-06-2010 11:13 AM

old school

Russ/40 08-06-2010 11:20 AM

It's a reasonable solution to the increase in alcohol in today's fuel. Prevents sticking valves. I ran an ampco oiler on one of my cars and enjoyed the dismay observers had when viewing the gadget under the hood. I would call it my "super sauce."

Bruce Adams 08-06-2010 11:26 AM

I believe the can says 4 oz to 10 gallons, which is what I do regularly.
Its like the glousamine I take for my arthritis.
You don't know if it works but everyone swears by it, and no one says its bad.

J Franklin 08-06-2010 11:28 AM

4 oz. to 10 gallons gasoline, it is a top cylinder lubricant.

Dave Pratt - IL 08-06-2010 11:33 AM

How big of a problem is sticking valves? I have 3 model A's. They are sometimes driven frequently and sometimes set for months. I have never had a valve stick just using 87 octane pump gas mostly with alcohol.
Dave

J Franklin 08-06-2010 11:36 AM

Oil also keeps things newer longer and has unstuck my valves when the engine was rebuilt.

37 Coupe 08-06-2010 11:37 AM

I never used MMO or had a stuck valve in a flathead especially a rebuilt one until two years ago, the ethanol in the fuel must be the reason it is becoming more common now. Probably only had a couple hundred miles on 59AB engine and it ran fine in the morning going to local car show.After sitting all day with the hood up in about 90 degree weather it started and ran terrible driving home,missing and backfiring like the timing somehow was off. Remembered reading about this on the old Ford Barn and next morning tried the MMO down both sides of the carb with engine idling,took it down road and it cleared up and ran smooth after about a 1/2 mile. I put the prescribed 4 oz in 10 gallons every fillup now,I am a believer. Also I have heard that 10% ethanol is enough alcohol to contribute to tank or fuel line rust and in my mind the oil may help against this.

Special Coupe Frank 08-06-2010 11:41 AM

I've heard about two issues with alcohol-blended fuels: one has to due with increased tendencies to turn to "varnish", the other is corrosion due to the water content of the alcohol...

msmaron 08-06-2010 11:44 AM

I ALWAYS add 4 oz to every fill up

billwill 08-06-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 57028)
It lubricates the valve train better than just regular old engine oil will. it is suppose to make your valves last longer in the long run. Ive never heard of someone actually say a set amount to put in per gas fill up. But if i were to use it every time i filled up i would say roughly 6-8 fl oz. Its not to much, but its enough to lubricate.

check your plugs to make sure are not flowing.Itwill happen.

Jon 08-06-2010 03:08 PM

OK, some one explain to me how it would lube the exhaust valves?? I'm not trying to be funny or step on someones toes, I've heard this all before and was just wondering how does the unburned oil in the fuel mixture get to the exhaust valves and do them any good?

700rpm 08-06-2010 06:23 PM

I have found that 4 oz of MMO in a tank when I'm traveling in hot country or high altitudes helps eliminate the sputters and stutters. I don't know why.

Ed Northrop 08-06-2010 08:12 PM

The valves would stick and than make a pop sound, I started useing mmo and problem went away.

5window 08-06-2010 08:24 PM

Do a Google and there are Marvel Mystery Oil discussions on every kind of car forum you can imagine. Seems to be light weight oil, benzene, naptha,etc. Not really a mystery. here's a ink to the MSDS information with ingredients. Must be the wintergreen odor that makes it work.

http://www.turtlewax.com/res/msds/MM010-4.pdf

Russ/40 08-06-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Pratt - IL (Post 57067)
How big of a problem is sticking valves? I have 3 model A's. They are sometimes driven frequently and sometimes set for months. I have never had a valve stick just using 87 octane pump gas mostly with alcohol.
Dave

I think sticky valves can be more of a problem in fresh engines, than in high mileage engines. Tighter tolerances seem to be aggravated by the higher alcohol content fuels. We see the problem fairly frequently in the V8's. Much discussion on this issue on their forum.

hardtimes 08-06-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ/40 (Post 57398)
I think sticky valves can be more of a problem in fresh engines, than in high mileage engines. Tighter tolerances seem to be aggravated by the higher alcohol content fuels. We see the problem fairly frequently in the V8's. Much discussion on this issue on their forum.

Russ,
In all the discussion that you've encountered on this subject, have you heard any involving sticking valve...when stainless steel valves are used in an engine?

Mike V. Florida 08-06-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon (Post 57179)
OK, some one explain to me how it would lube the exhaust valves?? I'm not trying to be funny or step on someones toes, I've heard this all before and was just wondering how does the unburned oil in the fuel mixture get to the exhaust valves and do them any good?

The exhaust travels past the valve stem on it's way out to the muffler. The oil coats the valve stem.