The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '37 ford aftermarket parts? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42354)

Jeremy Bilbrey 07-16-2011 06:25 PM

'37 ford aftermarket parts?

I have been looking in one of my old V8 times mags and read that there were at least 23 different aftermarket hood ornaments for the '37 ford. any '37 guys out there know anything about them, the history,etc. or pics of them on cars? I've been looking for one for years.

Matt in Alameda 07-16-2011 06:39 PM

Re: '37 ford aftermarket parts?

The best one I saw was a key lockable one that was for sale on E-pay a year ago...I wish there was an easy way to lock down my '35 hood.....Matt in Alameda

37 Coupe 07-16-2011 07:28 PM

If you have the Early Ford V8 Club 1937 restoration book you will see in the accessories section the only locking Genuine Ford hood ornament that Ford provided as an option. It has a swivel lock cover on top that hides the lock cylinder and has ribbed sides,one is on Ebay right now but missing the base which is unique to the locking hood ornament. I know of several people who have the handle part but not the base or the base they have is cracked or in two pieces or so. A better looking one and sometimes on Ebay as well is one that looks like the original 37 Ford hood ornament in design,it has a V8 sliding lock cover that is usually blue or was when new. I think there was other locking types but not as nice looking as the two I mentioned. I believe the Genuine Ford one was $2.75 new one was for sale on Fordbarn swap couple or three weeks ago for $425.00 I think, with no keys,it was NOS in the Ford box. I have had two of them in last 10 years,both NOS but I like the looks of the non locking original myself. Don't know who supplied to Ford but lock cylinder and keys were Hurd. The first one I had was a little strange,you could not leave it unlocked without key in it,only way to remove key was to lock hood,would have been fun to have an issue under the hood like a fire whlile driving and stumbling around to get key in to unlock,think the second one I had you could lock or leave unlocked and still remove key. NOS ones I have seen usually have poor or bubbled chrome,with good storage,but probably was not meant to be chromed in 1937 to last 74 years even in dry storage.:mad:

Jeremy Bilbrey 07-16-2011 07:40 PM

wow, thanks for that..I have been looking for the locking one with the fluted? or ribbed sides..but also like the bolt on "wings" they had as well...never seen any of those for sale anywhere..still looking. thanks again

Jeremy Bilbrey 07-16-2011 07:51 PM

wow,thx 37 coupe.. that one on ebay is nice...sure wished it had a base...