The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pan gasket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245248)

michael a 05-30-2018 12:48 PM

Pan gasket

Other than not being. Correct why can't you use silicone oil pan gasket

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Gary WA 05-30-2018 05:24 PM

Re: Pan gasket

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael a (Post 1634763)
Other than not being. Correct why can't you use silicone oil pan gasket

once it hardens pieces could get in engine plus if u have to remove lots of work I use Indian Shellac,just my choice.

Gold Digger 05-30-2018 06:51 PM

I never use silicone on any part of an engine that those peace's of dried silicone can get in the oil. I've cleaned too may oil sump screens that were totally blocked from little peace's of it. I've also seen several engines burned up because of it. It's good for the water pump and any part that connects to the water system. Just my theory.

Synchro909 05-30-2018 06:58 PM

IMHO, silicone is just fine if used together with a few brain cells. Too many people slather it on too thickly and it oozes into places it shouldn’t be, causing the problems mentioned above. A lttile goes a long way or to use an old hair cream ad quote, “a little dab’ll do ya”.

michael a 05-30-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1634879)
IMHO, silicone is just fine if used together with a few brain cells. Too many people slather it on too thickly and it oozes into places it shouldn’t be, causing the problems mentioned above. A lttile goes a long way or to use an old hair cream ad quote, “a little dab’ll do ya”.

Tt I have used it a lot and you're absolutely right most people that put it on should stick it up their nose I have just never seen it mentioned here and as far as I'm concerned it's a much better gasket that any of that paper cork will ever be . Mj photo

alandomer 06-01-2018 03:18 AM

Just curious what brand of silicone is recommended.

daren007 06-01-2018 07:31 AM

You can use silicone wherever you want. The best use for silicone is the dumpster. I have had to repair too many aircraft engines that were repaired or assembled with silicone. The same goes with snowmobile and car engines.

gilitos 06-01-2018 10:32 AM

The auto industry has gone 100% to silicone as a replacement for stamped or molded pan gaskets during powertrain manufacture. It's applied via a robotic dispenser to the sealing surface prior to assembly. Saves a bit of money on each one. BUT it is probably the largest warranty cost: the engines and transmissions are leaking right out of the factory. This isn't because the silicone can't seal, it can. It's because the sealing surfaces need to be very clean prior to silicone application, and the parts washers being used to clean oil pans, blocks, and timing covers aren't doing a consistent job. If you're going to use silicone on assembly, use it sparingly and clean the beejeezus out of the sealing surfaces with something like brake cleaner, which won't leave any oily residue if you're careful.

However, a problem with assembling an engine or transmission with silicone is that if the surfaces are clean enough for good adhesion and sealing, the parts are literally glued together and now they're difficult to disassemble.

I prefer paper or composition gaskets.