The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sparton AF R? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62161)

jim1932 02-15-2012 07:01 AM

Sparton AF R?

which horn was a Sparton AF R? I have a Sparton plate for that horn that I picked up at a hotrod flea market.

true blue 32 man 02-20-2012 04:10 AM

Re: Sparton AF R?

Jim What you have is the repro horn data plate for the Model A Sparton horn. Years ago there was a repro 32 data plate BF They are identical except for that one minor change. All Sparton aooga horns had all data silk screened except for the manufacture date. It was stamped into the plate. most original 32 data plates I'v seen were stamped 6 1932 6 being the month (june) and 1932 obviously the year. Haven't seen the 32 repro data plates recently. They were available from A&L Parts in Conn. years ago Don't know if they are still in business.

DavidG 02-20-2012 07:44 PM

A&L is still in business at (860) 693-0112 during weekdays. They offer the Sparton data plates in both AF (Model A) and BF (1932) formats, including stamping a date of your choice.

jim1932 03-23-2013 10:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Restarting this thread...... Better photos of my horn. Is this the early one? Looks to me like it matches the book description Lots of rust pitting on mine, might not be the one I stay with.

DavidG 03-24-2013 02:31 AM

Jim,

It's not the earliest version, but yes, it's a Sparton motor driven horn, Model BF, as opposed to the late vibrator horn, Model CF.

jim1932 03-24-2013 12:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, what am I missing in the reading? I thought the BF would at least have holes where the plate was mounted and I thought the alignment hole was to the side? ALthough the outside is pretty pitted, the inside looks original and shows no signs of holes or repairs of holes. any writing on the but end it gone I'm sure. I was thinking maybe a stewart warner...or an "A"? Looks like some red showing through on the mount (plus there was also an A mount on the car) so I doubt this came was the horn the car left the factory with.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, just the lack of plate mounting holes bothered me. When did they start making repops?

jim1932 03-31-2013 09:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK stole a photo off ebay to explain my point. According to the book, this reproduction horn cover is what I would expect mine to look like if it was a BF, two holes where the plate was mounted and the alignment slot on the side. Mine does not have holes for a plate mounting and the alignment slot is on the top?????

DavidG 03-31-2013 10:55 PM

Jim,

I need new glasses! Your horn is the earliest version with the locating notch at the top rather than at the side and no patent plate on the back cover. It is still a model BF horn, however (see page 6-28). A model AF horn was used on Model As.

At one time quite awhile ago, someone in New England reproduced the patent plate for the first version of the model BF horn as shown in the first column of page 6-28, but I've not seen any reference to one being available in recent years.

jim1932 04-01-2013 05:32 PM

Damn I was right on something....kinda.

This thing is pretty pitted, unless it came with a hammered finish. Will bondo stay on this?