The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Epoxy sealant for leaking gas tank? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27909)

CountrySquire55 02-04-2011 05:57 AM

Epoxy sealant for leaking gas tank?

I think I originally posted my question in the wrong area of this forum so I am trying again. Anyone familiar with sealing a very slight leak from the steering column support bracket that is riveted into the gas tank? My friend's 29 Fordor has a "weep" more than a "leak" and I have heard that using a specific type of epoxy on the outside of the support bracket could seal this without having to remove the tank. Anyone know what type of epoxy might work best? Thanks!

31rpu 02-04-2011 06:09 AM

Re: Epoxy sealant for leaking gas tank?

Purchase from a aircraft supply PRC tank sealant. It is a two part compound and cures semi hard. I have wire brushed the mount, cleaned it with vinegar, applied a thin layer and it does take paint. Even sealed water leaks in blocks. This stuff is made for fuel and will not flake off like expoxy. Van's Aircraft or Aircraft Spruce carry it.

Barry B./ Ma. 02-04-2011 06:22 AM

Sounds similar to what I bought at Car Quest, made by Permatex and is a black 2 part mix cures semi hard and does take paint. It has been on that steering column area for 5 years with good results.

gunmetal blue 02-04-2011 06:56 AM

My friend has a restore shop and once you clean that area good with no gas in tank, JB weld work great and you can sand it and paint it. Good Luck

Barry B./ Ma. 02-04-2011 08:46 AM

I would also recommend that you use the 31 type hanger and disconnect the present support clamp under the tank because of the strain and vibration at that location. Both my A's (29 & 30) have the 31 style hanger. I wouldn't use JB Weld because eventually it will weaken in contact with gasolene. The 2 part Permatex product is a polyurethane which doesn't seem to be affected and is made for repairing steel fuel tanks. Make sure you drain the tank dry, clean the area well and after using the material let it set for a day before adding fuel.

Paul from Maine 02-04-2011 11:02 AM

Mine wept, but didn't drip. Smell drives you crazy. Remove the tank, purge it completely of fumes and take it down to the local radiator shop. For about $15 they will re-solder it as good as new. Before reinstalling, coat the area around the steering wheel clamp with your favorite sealant just for insurance. I know it's a pain, but you will be happier without that smell of gasohol.

ryan1929 02-04-2011 02:57 PM

I have Removed the 29 bracket completely from the gas tank. and im using the 31 steering bracket. If anyone wants pictures or details about this email me at
[email protected]

Some people who use the 31 bracket leave the 29 bracket attached to the tank. Well to me that looks goofy. My tank is clean you wont find any remainder of the old bracket. Thats the best way to fix your leaking tank because your tank will never ever leak again. If your going to do something Do it right the first time.....

Gary/IA 02-04-2011 07:11 PM

Marine Tex - Gray

CountrySquire55 02-04-2011 07:24 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. Very helpful. I very much appreciate this information!

ivoryjohn 02-04-2011 11:21 PM

"We get too son oldt and too late schmart!" I only recently found the Ford Barn Brain Trust and wish I had found it about three months earlier when I first brought home my old sedan. I had sold it years ago and the old fellow that bought it used the steering wheel to pull himself into the car. A leak developed at a rivet on the steering wheel brace. It weeped gas. I couldn't justify driving the car as a potential fire bomb.

I didn't have these guys to offer suggestions and saw repairing the tank or trading out for a non-leaking one as my only options because I couldn't absolutely pin down the area of the leak. My sources told me that an outside fix was just a patch and would never hold gas. The only way to fix a tank was to silver solder it...or so I was told.

I'm out of breath, fat and old and changing a tank on a closed '29 Fordor is not a job to be taken lightly. A yoga guru would have been helpful twisting around inside to get the cowl braces that support the tank out of the way, NOT a fat old man! There are a lot of bolt and nuts to take out, in and outside of the car.

To be sure I had a good tank I bought one off ebay. I paid too much but I wasn't finished there. I had the new tanks brace soldered at a radiator shop...expensive place. I didn't find out about not being able to weld the hardened steel in the tanks until it was too late for my local welder buddy. He spent two days trying to replace one radiator support rod bracket that had cracked the steel it was riveted to. (I now know how to fix the tank brackets...another story) He only charged me for an hours time.

I decided to put an epoxy tank sealer in the new tank. I bought the good stuff and paint for the tank for another small fortune. It took all day just to prep the tank for the epoxy. I have to say this is really good stuff but a lot of trouble to seal the tank. What the heck I wanted something to do when I bought my car back after it was gone for 14 years. I managed to spend almost $780 on the tank, epoxy sealer, paint, reducer, soldering job and bracket replacement.

I wish you a lot of luck and try the offered fixes. If it doesn't work changing out a tank is covered in this month's Restorer Magazine. Too late to have done me any good by two months. Anybody can do it if I can. Oh well!