The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Garage Car Exhaust System (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86728)

Colonel 10-20-2012 08:59 PM

Garage Car Exhaust System

It is about time to get the garage ready for winter and I need to put in a simple exhaust system(maybe just a hose out the door) to run my A over the winter. What kind of exhaust system would work best - low cost and simple. Pic would be great. Let me know where to buy the parts if possible. Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions.

partridgekelley 10-20-2012 09:04 PM

Re: Garage Car Exhaust System

Napa sells a metal hose for hot air from a manifold to the air filter , I think that would work good. They come in differant sizes and you might have to use a piece of exhaust pipe to finish it.

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-21-2012 12:27 AM

Is flexible exhaust tubing still available? It was much like large flexible electrical conduit. Get the correct diameter, and clamp it to the tailpipe with a muffler clamp. Bill W.

1931 flamingo 10-21-2012 07:15 AM

Rubber hose off the tail pipe to a hole in the garage door. Simple, cheap. JMO
Paul in CT

Ed Saniewski 10-21-2012 08:29 AM

I installed this system last year. Advanced Auto sells the rubber hose that attaches the tail pipe and the metal door that you cut into the garage door to vent out. It works great.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-21-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel (Post 520244)
It is about time to get the garage ready for winter and I need to put in a simple exhaust system(maybe just a hose out the door) to run my A over the winter. What kind of exhaust system would work best - low cost and simple. Pic would be great. Let me know where to buy the parts if possible. Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions.

Let me also suggest you consider installing one or two Carbon Monoxide detectors in your garage when you run your A. On eBay, there are exhaust hoses listed which are made specifically for this that are 11' long for under $100.

Step-down 10-21-2012 02:51 PM

I bougth shop rated Exh. Hose from Napa for 90 buck 12 foot long ...Slide over tail pipe and open the garage door couple and off you go.....

Louis 10-21-2012 03:11 PM

I may be wrong, but you will still get some fume's from the eng. oil breather and other exh. leak's [exh. clamp etc]. I know I do.
If it were me I would back it out of the garage and let it run, it would also help pervent flat spot's on your tires by setting for the winter, unless you plan on driving it a few times. JMHO

Napa Skip 10-21-2012 03:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I seldom take issue with posts on this forum (being somewhat inexperienced in the art of Model A ownership and maintenance) but I wonder why an open garage door isn't sufficient, at least for the occasional once-a-month "light it off and warm it up" routine?

Now, before someone looks at my avatar and questions what right anyone from California has to comment on a foul-weather-state-querry, I hasten to add - as evidenced by the images below - that in the 10 years I lived in Idaho, my Model A and I were exposed to some inclement weather. In fact my 1930 Coupe hails (no pun intended) from southern Idaho (or at least that's where I purchased the pile of parts - see the photo on the left - that eventually became what I now drive). On those days when I needed to start up the coupe, I opened the garage door. Even better, as the image on the right shows, the alternative is actually backing the A out onto the driveway. (Btw, the image on the right was taken on a mild - for Idaho - spring day just before summer.)

Attachment 103540 Attachment 103541

Now, to bring a note of seriousness to this post, I have some small (22+ years worth of) experience operating rather large internal combustion engines (albeit Fairbanks Morse 38-1/8 ND opposed-piston diesels, standing - as I recall - about 10-feet, from the lower crank cover down in the bilge to the upper coffin cover in the overhead) in confined and somewhat enclosed spaces (submarines) and my concern with clamping a piece of flexible tubing onto a muffler and proceeding to run up your Model A in an enclosed garage/barn/living room/whatever, is that it gives a false sense of security and does nothing to protect one from the CO, CO2, etc., coming, not out of the tail pipe, but from exhaust manifold or exhaust-manifold-to-muffler-inlet leaks, or from pin-holes anywhere else in the exhaust system. High concentrations of CO2 in confined spaces will (in my experience) sometimes announce themselves with a splitting headache, but the first indication of CO poisoning is all too frequently an obituary in the local newspaper.

So, if you can't move to California (I have it on good authority that there are some individuals living east of the Sierra Nevadas who don't realize they are free to leave) and can't stand to open your garage door for the short time necessary, at least do as others have suggested and make sure you have an operable CO detector with an audible alarm in the vicinity of your operating A.

CarlG 10-21-2012 08:40 PM

All you have to do here is to open your garage door for a minute or two. The outside ambient temprature will suck all the warm air out and replace it with zero degree "fresh" air in a heartbeat. Downside is that it takes several hours to bring it back up to 40+ degrees after the door goes down.

James Rogers 10-21-2012 09:12 PM

For my run in stand, I bought a 7' section of flex exhaust pipe that fits tightly on the muffler. I run it out the door and close it down to just a little higher than the pipe. I like it because it gets the carbon monoxide out and most of the noise of the muffler. Makes it easy to hear any wayward noises. I do have a detector just above the spot where the stand sits.

binkbee 10-22-2012 10:08 AM

Take a small cylindrical type fan as used on a home furnace and place it outside with the hoses you are speaking of, connected from the fan intake to the car exhaust. Make some "air leaks" where the line hooks to the exhaust-pipe so that it will have a good flow to remove the fumes real fast and also keep the line cooler. Doing so will eliminate any back-pressure that could leak out to the work area. It has a constant vacuum in the flex-line! Then add a CM detector to be alerted of a fan failure!

Rick Finsta 10-22-2012 10:23 AM

Engine dyno cells use the high temp flexible exhaust line, but for use at home from an exhaust pipe you'll be fine with clothes dryer exhaust tubing. You should get a decent vacuum in the line if it is at all breezy outside, but check and make sure it's not positive pressure before running the car.