The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pinto motor mounts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119759)

Jrex 10-09-2013 12:41 PM

Pinto motor mounts

Does anyone make a Pinto engine mount for the model ?

jkeesey 10-09-2013 12:46 PM

Re: Pinto motor mounts

Umm... why?

Skrain 10-09-2013 01:16 PM

I have seen some of the Shay Replica Model A's with Pinto engines in them. If they are still in business, that might be a source.

jkeesey 10-09-2013 01:25 PM

Shay went out of business in the 80s. If it is one of those cars you should be able to buy stock Pinto mounts and they would fit. Mounts to fit a Pinto engine into a stock A frame would have to be custom.

Charlie Stephens 10-09-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrex (Post 741539)
Does anyone make a Pinto engine mount for the model ?

You might check the archives and find who made the original conversions and see if they are still in business and have extra parts. You might also try a wanted ad. I was never a fan of the conversion since the engine just didn’t look like it belonged in there. Most of the conversions used a Model a flywheel and transmission. I would have liked to see a later transmission and had concerns about the heavy flywheel hung on the end of the pinto crank. In my opinion this is a definite “don’t go there”. The Chevy II, Iron Duke or Mercuriser Marine is in my opinion a much better choice but this is a better topic for HAMB. What is your general location and someone might have something to show you?

Charlie Stephens

Mike V. Florida 10-09-2013 01:45 PM

http://www.shayparts.com/

Harry Shaw made the Shaws that were sold through Ford dealerships.
Ford waived design patents for its Model A so that the Shay Roadster could be built. Ford supplied the platform, Shay manufactured the cars and Ford, Mercury and Lincoln dealers sold them.

http://www.shayhistory.com/HistoryShay.html

jkeesey 10-09-2013 02:18 PM

Ford allowed Shay to make a replica but not a recreation. If you ever work on one or look at one you will notice every single part is different. You cannot take a original or reproduction Model A part and just bolt it on.

Charlie Stephens 10-09-2013 02:40 PM

Also remember the Shay was not built on a Model A chassis. I believe it was built on a Pinto chassis but you can confirm that on the web sites already referenced. You should be able to find a Pinto in a wrecking yard (probably easier than trying to find a Shay) unless they have already all been recycled.

Charlie Stephens

SLPreston53 10-09-2013 03:08 PM

If memory serves, there was a fellow in Texas that had a specialty of doing "Pinto engine in an A" swaps...maybe someone can remember his name/contact info

jkeesey 10-09-2013 03:23 PM

The Shay was a custom built chassis using Mustang II/Pinto components. The pinto was unibody and had no frame.

jrapose 10-09-2013 03:44 PM

The kits were made by Hudson Wagon Works and included motor mounts and a special bell housing so the 2000cc pinto would bolt in....the idea was good but the Pinto did not have enough torque...and was gutless...once rolling the car would easily cruise at 60mph and give 25 mpg...

Joel

kenparker 10-09-2013 04:16 PM

We is all gonna git lambasted for posting non Model stuff here . he-he. I had to make my own mounts. Was not hard , just time consuming. Mine is a 2.3 liter, not 2000 as is most Pintos. Mounts are very similar. E mail or private message for further info cause it aint stock Model A.

jrelliott 10-09-2013 04:23 PM

Neighbor has pinto engine in his 30 coupe and the pinto transmission. May be able to go over later and get some pictures. BTW vehicle is painted John Deere green and yellow and sports a JD emblem on the rear.

jkeesey 10-09-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrelliott (Post 741672)
Neighbor has pinto engine in his 30 coupe and the pinto transmission. May be able to go over later and get some pictures. BTW vehicle is painted John Deere green and yellow and sports a JD emblem on the rear.

I am in no way a stock Model A diehard but that sounds dreadful.

CarlG 10-09-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrelliott (Post 741672)
...vehicle is painted John Deere green and yellow and sports a JD emblem on the rear.

One of the guys in our club bought a '30 Tudor several years ago that was this same color scheme. He did take the JD emblem off, but left the colors as they were. Actually looks pretty sharp -- although not factory correct.

Mike V. Florida 10-10-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrapose (Post 741644)
The kits were made by Hudson Wagon Works and included motor mounts and a special bell housing so the 2000cc pinto would bolt in....the idea was good but the Pinto did not have enough torque...and was gutless...once rolling the car would easily cruise at 60mph and give 25 mpg...

Joel

Can you imagine what it does in a much heaver original A?

Logan 10-10-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 742001)
Can you imagine what it does in a much heaver original A?

They're actually not that bad. I'd rather have the torque of the flathead, but I've driven lots of cars with the pintos in them, and they drive pretty nice. I've driven pickups, coupes, 4 door sedans, and an A400 with a pinto in it. Yes you have to give them more throttle to get off the line, but once you get started they're okay. The coupe I drove was actually a pretty fun car to drive. I believe it had the 2000 motor, a '39 tranny and 16 inch wheels to help gear it down a little. I ran 2nd gear all the way up to 55 and then shifted. But normal driving, without racing the engine up, you'd probably shift into 3rd at about 40. Some people try running overdrives behind the pinto motor, and it just doesn't work because there's not enough torque, unless you put a 4:11 rear end and 15-16 inch wheels, then you'll have enough to pull it on flat ground. But a pinto motor with stock gears should cruise down the road at about 60-65 easily. I don't ever plan on installing a pinto in a model a, unless I absolutely need to for an automatic for some reason. And the only reason I would choose the pinto motor over other would be the ease of installation in a model a, they fit real nice, and can be removed and show no signs of ever being there, and it's a cost effective alternative to other motors. You can find them relatively cheap.

Stick Shift 10-10-2013 09:29 PM

My truck (33 on an A chassis) has a pinto and 39 trans set up. Its ok but I love driving my 29 Phaeton with B-motor. B motor has more torque and guts then the Pinto. :)

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-11-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stick Shift (Post 742381)
My truck (33 on an A chassis) has a pinto and 39 trans set up. Its ok but I love driving my 29 Phaeton with B-motor. B motor has more torque and guts then the Pinto. :)

I agree with you that even a stock Model-A engine will outperform a Pinto installation. Matter of fact, there was a guy in the Houston club back in mid 70's that installed a 1600cc Pinto engine in a '29 Tudor and mated it to a Model-A transmission. That car would run faster in 2nd gear than it would in high gear!! :eek: There was also a club member named Olin Willis that installed an Opel engine that was the same scenario. He removed his after a few months. The word was quickly getting around that engine swaps were not the hot ticket.

Back to the original posters question, ...based on other modifications and fabrication needed, I would think the engine mounts would be one of the easiest to make if you have the tools and skills. What are you going to do for a transmission adapter?

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-12-2013 01:30 AM

I know of Pinto powered "A"s, running 4:11 gears & a Mitchell Overdrive, installed backwards as an UNDERDRIVE for mountain climbing. With Pinto's small displacement, you gotta' REALLY wind them up to get good performance!
Bill W. (I never mentioned Pinto's before, as some get REAL testy about such changes. Well, at least they used a FORD engine. If only the Pinto had 200 CUBIC INCHES, WOW!)