The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   run out of petrol 2, still no start (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17580)

1936coupe 10-13-2010 01:01 PM

run out of petrol 2, still no start

re other post, car stalled outside garage, i thought petrol put 2 gallons in and cranked dozen times should be enough?, after this i put a hand inline syphon pump on carb feed could get nothing thru, drained glass fuel bowl it is not refilling when cranking, will get some fuel tomorrow and see if pump sucks from a jar, if pump ok what else to look for? air block? thanks

IVT1 10-13-2010 02:35 PM

Re: run out of petrol 2, still no start

Put some air pressure in the tank & see if your line is stopped up
easy way to do the air thing is to get a tennis ball & cut a small hole in 2 sides of it & put a piece of hose through it hold it tight to the tank filler pipe & put your air gun in the hose & bingo you got it.

truk 10-13-2010 05:34 PM

I had a similar problem with my stock '36 and after much troubleshooting it turned out the short rubber hose going from the firewall to the fuel pump was deteriorated inside and was collapsing when the pump was actuating. Good luck.

Truk

ajohn 10-13-2010 06:18 PM

I'm wondering if I'm reading what you say correctly.Will the engine start if you give it a shot of gas in the carb ventura.If not,you have other problems and the engine might not start at all.I hope I understood what you wrote. James

1936coupe 10-13-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajohn (Post 96479)
I'm wondering if I'm reading what you say correctly.Will the engine start if you give it a shot of gas in the carb ventura.If not,you have other problems and the engine might not start at all.I hope I understood what you wrote. James

the engine fires with some easy start, checked the spark it is good, no fuel getting to carb.

George/Maine 10-13-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1936coupe (Post 96492)
the engine fires with some easy start, checked the spark it is good, no fuel getting to carb.

I would put 5 gallons so you know you have plenty.

If you have a sender with 6 holes that like orginal.If you have one with 5 holes thats 12 volt one.The ohms is 30 to 240 and is used with Stewart Warner gauges.This is a universal sender and has a very short rod should be set a half tank.

1936coupe 10-13-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George/Maine (Post 96494)
I would put 5 gallons so you know you have plenty.

If you have a sender with 6 holes that like orginal.If you have one with 5 holes thats 12 volt one.The ohms is 30 to 240 and is used with Stewart Warner gauges.This is a universal sender and has a very short rod should be set a half tank.

yep will try some more fuel might give some more pressure?

weemark 10-14-2010 03:35 AM

vic i had the same problem, put about a gallon in and nothing, put another gallon in and all was ok.

try pouring some down the carb to get it to start.

1936coupe 10-14-2010 03:55 AM

hi mark, will stick another couple in today. thought 2 would do thou? will spray come down carb also, cheers............. thx for replys all.

345 DeSoto 10-14-2010 08:14 AM

If you get fuel TO the pump, and the engine starts/runs with fuel DOWN the carburetor, then you have a plugged whatever between the pump and the carburetor. Do you have Mud Dauber Wasps in your Country? Serious question. They raise hell in my neck of the woods, with anything that has a small hole in it...like a disconnected fuel or brake line...