The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   H&H Flatheads (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41043)

Ford Flathead 07-01-2011 10:38 PM

Re: H&H Flatheads

Thanks for all the support. And as always just give me a call if there is a problem and I will try to take care of it.
Thanks
Mike Herman
H&H Flatheads

Fairlane500 07-01-2011 11:01 PM

H&H are a great company and Mike Herman a professional to deal with. I took a leap of faith with H&H half way around the world, they delivered and I wouldnt hesitate doing business with Mike or H&H again, he is true to his word and stands buy his workmanship and builds one helluva flathead.

pauldeborr 07-01-2011 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:cool:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie (Post 232362)
Sounds like

Attachment 47432

This is awesome! Thanks for that, we are here to help people not hurt people.

Strick 07-01-2011 11:05 PM

what were you looking for in airing your negativity here? so I bought a new Ford 5 years ago, the warranty expired at 3 years/36 months and you just bought it from the guy I sold it to. the alternator goes out and you want to hold Ford Motor Company responsible?????

Frank Miller 07-02-2011 01:28 AM

I had a standard block I was sure would clean up a .020. I wanted the pistons when I brought it to the machinist so against Mike's advice I ordered them. Well It did not clean up at .020 and I had to humbly call back to get bigger ones. He sent me the new ones and I returned the old ones. I asked what I owed him for shipping and he said I was all set. I can't testify for all his customers and every business is going to have a few not satisfied but Mike took care of MY mistake.

Hoop 07-02-2011 04:21 AM

MAYBE .... some of us are making some mistakes in responding to posts like this one.

"dschwartz" posted what he believed to be an honest warning about what he thought was unfair treatment by H&H. Notice he did not ask for the forum's opinion ... but, naturally you can bet he was going to get it.

MAYBE ... the best thing to do is discuss whether or not he has a valid complaint against H&H. Suggesting that he is a whiner or that he's made mistakes in grammar does not help settle the main issue.

Some folks are quick to attack the person rather than the person's ideas ... there's a huge difference in trying to overall discredit someone and trying to debate a specific issue. "dschwartz" is a member of the Ford Barn. He may or may not be wrong, but deserves respect in any case.

Further, it does not really matter how many engines H&H has built or how fairly Mike Herman has treated his other customers. The issue is whether or not "dschwartz" has a valid complaint against H&H with HIS engine. I bet Mike will agree.

MAYBE ... no matter how much you disagree with "dschwartz", it's best he post his concerns here. I think he's found that the best solution is to discuss it directly with Mike Herman ... he learned that here. I also hope he will continue posting on the Ford Barn.

Mike V. Florida 07-02-2011 05:25 AM

I know several people that work on old cars and since none of them actually do engines they send the customer to the rebuilders directly to avoid the problems of the third party warranty.

fourtydlx 07-02-2011 08:18 AM

I live in so cal,not far from h&h,lots of engines in my area,Haven't heared any bad news. Not fare to mike to spread gossip. Just my opinion for what its worth.

JWL 07-02-2011 08:48 AM

When I install sleeves I leave a step in the bottom of the bore where the new sleeve is pressed down against the shoulder. It becomes impossible for a sleeve to move down regardless of the abuse or mis-use which might occur. I am not aware of the specific details of the subject engine but, unless the sleeves were original Ford replacement sets there should not be any reason for sleeve movement.

Ford Flathead 07-02-2011 10:42 AM

I always step my sleeves in. The over torque pulled the deck up and cracked it and caused the sleeves to move. On the bottom of the cylinder there is no gap or even machine part line showing.

okiedokie 07-02-2011 11:17 AM

I am assuming he bought the motor second hand to save money. I am sure it was very expensive still. That would make me very unhappy also, but I would never go back to the original builder about it. Maybe to the person who sold it to me, although there was probably a reason it was sold. I think that posting the story is fine, education for all. I think that to exclaim that H&H is to blame is just rediculous.

Mike51Merc 07-03-2011 07:49 AM

Dan: Didn't you think the "5 years ago" part was an important detail in this discussion? And where's Jody Martin in this picture? Did you buy it from him last week or 5 years ago?

Mike H: If he didn't contact you first, then why is he claiming you denied a warrantee?

JM 35 Sedan 07-03-2011 08:27 AM

I've followed this post here and on the EFV8C/A website and FWIW here is my take on this....
Mike Herman (H&H Flatheads) you have a very good reputation and I doubt this post will have any negative affect on you or your business.
Mr Schwartz I don't think you made the best decision to post your grievance with H&H on a public forum, BUT I certainly can feel your pain and frustration over what has happened to your engine.

I guess a good ending to this story might be that Mike Herman does offer to help Mr Schwartz in some way to get his engine problems straightened out. Even though this would not be expected, it would definitely be a good faith gesture on behalf of H&H.

BUBBAS IGNITION 07-03-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 232953)
I've followed this post here and on the EFV8C/A website and FWIW here is my take on this....
Mike Herman (H&H Flatheads) you have a very good reputation and I doubt this post will have any negative affect on you or your business.
Mr Schwartz I don't think you made the best decision to post your grievance with H&H on a public forum, BUT I certainly can feel your pain and frustration over what has happened to your engine.

I guess a good ending to this story might be that Mike Herman does offer to help Mr Schwartz in some way to get his engine problems straightened out. Even though this would not be expected, it would definitely be a good faith gesture on behalf of H&H.

DITTO !!!!!!:eek: SHOULD BE THE END.......

Capn John 07-03-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 232953)

WHY??? It's 5 years and a third party! Let him go back to Jody Martin!

uncle buck 07-04-2011 12:06 AM

After all of the public posting and hearing the feeling of grief of the orig poster, I don't think anything Mike could offer at this time will satisfy him enough to actually become a customer of H & H 'S , so if I were Mike , I wouldn't bother.

Bassman/NZ 07-04-2011 05:17 AM

If the damage was caused by over torquing, which seems to be the case, there is no obligation by H&H of any kind to repair this mess.

4dFord/SC 07-04-2011 06:15 AM

IMHO, if my only knowledge of H&H Flatheads came from this thread, and I had a flathead that needing rebuilding, I wouldn't hesitate to send it to them. JMTCW.

moefuzz 07-05-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Flathead (Post 232195)

I am not in the position to hand out money 5 years later based on your word you assembled the engine correctly and never over heated the engine.

Nuff said.

Tim Ayers 07-05-2011 10:23 AM

Man, seems like a nice enough offer. I agree with Mike that this should have been handled off the "net".

Just because it is an open forum and folks can post whatever they darn well please doen't mean they should.

I think we can all learn a lesson from Sen. Anthony Weiner and Brett Farve. Just because technology lets you take and send pictures of your junk, doesn't mean you should or it is a good idea. As we know, it only leads you down a road to trouble.

Same goes with blasting a guy's business over the net. It just isn't the first step or the right thing to do if you never contacted them first.