The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Front and Rear Carpet and how to Insulate the Floor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175107)

Skibb 08-06-2015 08:49 AM

New Front and Rear Carpet and how to Insulate the Floor

Now its time to order an interior for our restroation, I have a deposit with Lebaron Bonney (who I too call Labron Bonney). But, we also want to insulate; so how do we insulate the floor? On top of the floor boards then lay carpet or insulate on the bottom.

If we insulate on top of the floor boards, wouldn't the capret appear misshaped ?

For the Firewall, I've read on the Barn that with stick on products, a color similar to the firewall's is used to mask the insulation.

thanks in advance!

billwill 08-06-2015 02:13 PM

Re: New Front and Rear Carpet and how to Insulate the Floor

Home Deot have insulation in small rolls idea for your use for about ten dollars Good look.

CarlG 08-06-2015 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For the firewall, the vendors have this item:

Model A Firewall Insulators
Just what you need for touring in those hot temps! Mounts to the inside of the firewall. Has a black plastic facing that has mold marks to resemble the old original firewall. U.S.A.

Skibb 08-06-2015 02:55 PM

Thank you Bill and Carl

Redbird 08-06-2015 03:02 PM

I just added the insulator that goes over the top of the muffler and the bubble wrap insulation with foil on both sides from Lowes. I ran the insulation from the front of the seat all the way up the firewall. It has knocked down the heat coming thru the floor considerably.

2manycars 08-06-2015 04:19 PM

I used an old piece of foam carpet padding under the mat.

Skibb 08-06-2015 08:45 PM

Thanks Red and 2many....

ian Simpson 08-06-2015 09:26 PM

For Canadians, Home Hardware has rolls of bubble wrap type of insulation, with aluminum foil on both sides. It is surprisingly strong. I have used it on a couple of vehicles with success.

However, tell your partner to lose the stiletto heels before embarking.

Clem Clement 08-06-2015 09:27 PM

I use a steel heat shield plus the space age insulation on the floor, firewall and quarters.

If you right seat passenger's feet get hot, add an old throw pillow and freeze water bottles for the passenger's feet.

Jordan 08-06-2015 10:02 PM

Some may consider I go overboard on insulation, but I consider it worth it. On the underside of the floorboard, I have the silver bubble insulation stapled to the passengers side (not drivers because of the battery) as well as the the underside of the toe board. On the inside, I have two layers of silver insulation running all the way from the seat up to the top of the firewall. On top of that, I also have a piece of industrial grade carpet that is cut the same shape as the model a carpet, then the correct model a carpet on top. Inside the doors & cowls I have peal & seal roofing insulation which is said to be the same as that fancy sticky insulation, as well as a cut out piece of silver insulation. I then have under the rear floor boards & under the rear seat insulated with the silver bubble insulation. The roof has the silver insulation as well. My car NEVER gets hot inside in the Texas heat. Passengers can take their shoes off and never complain about the floorboards getting hot. I also did all of this to help the AC work at it's full capacity, which it does. I rarely ever turn it on high and the people in the rear are more then comfortable even in the middle of the day when it's 105*.

Y-Blockhead 08-06-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 1134625)
Some may consider I go overboard on insulation, but I consider it worth it. On the underside of the floorboard, I have the silver bubble insulation stapled to the passengers side (not drivers because of the battery) as well as the the underside of the toe board. On the inside, I have two layers of silver insulation running all the way from the seat up to the top of the firewall. On top of that, I also have a piece of industrial grade carpet that is cut the same shape as the model a carpet, then the correct model a carpet on top. Inside the doors & cowls I have peal & seal roofing insulation which is said to be the same as that fancy sticky insulation, as well as a cut out piece of silver insulation. I then have under the rear floor boards & under the rear seat insulated with the silver bubble insulation. The roof has the silver insulation as well. My car NEVER gets hot inside in the Texas heat. Passengers can take their shoes off and never complain about the floorboards getting hot. I also did all of this to help the AC work at it's full capacity, which it does. I rarely ever turn it on high and the people in the rear are more then comfortable even in the middle of the day when it's 105°.

I'll bet it's pretty quiet inside also.

Jacksonlll 08-07-2015 07:58 AM

The only draw-back with all the insulation is when you have to "Get out and get under", It makes it tough to get those floor boards out. Don't lock things in too tight.

Cool Hand Lurker 08-07-2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1134422)
For the firewall, the vendors have this item:

Model A Firewall Insulators
Just what you need for touring in those hot temps! Mounts to the inside of the firewall. Has a black plastic facing that has mold marks to resemble the old original firewall. U.S.A.

Thanks Carl ! I did not know they were even available. That could hide a lot of ugly things!

robert shreveport 08-07-2015 08:58 AM

Jordon where did you buy the silver bubble insulation?

Bruce 08-07-2015 09:30 AM

One last solution to passenger hot foot (which was probably not the original question in this thread) that is effective and can be removed quickly in case you enter your car in high point judging: Use one of the aluminum trays that pre-prepared food comes in. I like the ones that Cosco's "fresh" chicken pot pies come in. They are big and pretty heavy duty. Position one under the floor board right under your co-pilot's feet. Smash it a bit to keep it from buzzing on the muffler and to make it more aerodynamic. Do leave a little bit of air space to insulate against the heat. Then staple the edge all around.
If it is not totally effective, at least you will get points for trying.

H. L. Chauvin 08-07-2015 11:49 AM

It is too long a subject to explain; however, if one were to go on line and research "Radiant Barriers", (which has been around since the 1920's), and try it, one would be convinced of the benefits of aluminum radiant barriers, (which can reflect 97% of radiant heat), "only" when placed adjacent to an "air space".

It can also provide a Low-E condition by reducing heat emissions by 97% when placed adjacent to an air space.

Aluminum foil sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard, carpet, plywood, steel, etc., reflects zero (0) heat.

Sound transmission, measured with a sound transmission coefficient, (STC rating), is greatly reduced when an air space is added and mass is added to one of two adjacent materials; hence, a similar minimum 3/4" air space can be used for both sound transmission reduction and radiant heat reduction.

One great solution for Model A "interior cab" heat transmission reduction and noise reduction is to:

1. First, adhesively apply and add two (2) layers of foil faced sound deadening material to the in-side of the thin metal firewall. (Double layer produces 3 times the sound deadening effect, thus adding mass to one adjacent material for sound reduction, plus a layer of foil for low heat emission).

2. Second, prior to installing the firewall assembly indicated in reply #3 above, at every pre-drilled hole in same, (for bolt fasteners), provide a 3/4" x 3/4" x 1-1/2" long wood block on top of the foil faced sound deadener listed in (1.) above. (This 3/4" created air space is the key to additional loss of sound transmission and 97% reduction in heat emissions).

3. Lastly, provide the firewall assembly indicated in reply #3 above, where the dense fiberglass backing is exposed to the created 3/4" air space to absorb lesser amounts of sound coming through the thin metal firewall because of adding mass to said firewall.

4. On the underside of floor boards, "thoroughly" remove all petroleum products and dirt, sand smooth and paint same with two coats of paint; then adhesively apply one layer of Lowe's or Home Depot's aluminum duct tape, which will be exposed to air & can reflect 97% of muffler radiant heat and hard surfaced highway heat.

5. Have only been experimenting with this stuff for over 40 years on about 2-3/4 million square feet of public buildings, and really, still learning ...... some manufacturer's insulation continuing education seminars offered today are really a joke.

1931 flamingo 08-07-2015 04:05 PM

I, like 2many cars used the carpet padding in the front, carpet fits fine. No body rides with me so I don't care if the floor gets hot . That's what the windows are for.
Paul in CT

Skibb 08-08-2015 11:00 AM

Wow, what great responses. Thank you much gents for your ideas. H.L. you sure do have a handle on this topic. TY all.