The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1934 Ford Installing New Top Insert (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60267)

HOTROD_WILLIE 01-27-2012 03:51 PM

1934 Ford Installing New Top Insert

I have 1934 5wd Coupe. I am getting ready to install vinyl insert in my coupe. Maybe I get some pointers for installing rubber in channel, vinyle insert, and steel trim piece. I never install one these insert so any information will be very helpful. Thanks.

PeteVS 01-27-2012 05:45 PM

Re: 1934 Ford Installing New Top Insert

Haven't done it myself, but DavidG had recommended Juliano's as a source for kits and installation help. Keep us posted (preferably with pix) as to how you make out. Here's a link...

http://www.julianos.com/how2_top_kit.html

Pete/Ct. 01-27-2012 07:21 PM

Got my 34 roof kit from LeBaron Bonney came with easy to follow instructions. Pete/Ct

lee34 01-28-2012 11:58 PM

Installed mine from Julianos .After 10years no leaks ,easy to follow directions ,Some wind noise Lee34

my4dv8 01-29-2012 02:18 AM

We fitted a Julianos to our original 32 3w . Lots of work as we didnt realise we had no original tack strip( If you dont have it you dont know its missing). So as Julianos is designed to pop rivet to the roof out side of the original channel,( this sure wasnt going to happen in our case) to fit a Julianos to the original channel means you need to fill the channel to roof height to get a level surface for the aluminium attachment strip.
So for a stock roof I think Le baron bonney would be a much better bet.

DavidG 01-29-2012 09:37 AM

Pete,

Sorry, it wasn't me that made that recommendation as my only (five-time) experience has been with the LeB/B kits.

As was appropriately stated above, the starting point is determining what, if anything, you are missing in the way of the original steel perimeter mouldings. They are not included in the LeB/B kit but they do sell them in straight sections made of aluminum. Mere mortals would be hard pressed to create the four quarter-round corners, but there is fellow in California who has the equipment and know-how to do it right.

Dave

PeteVS 01-29-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 353145)
Pete,
Sorry, it wasn't me that made that recommendation as my only (five-time) experience has been with the LeB/B kits.
Dave

I stand corrected!! I went back and checked and it was Dick Spadaro who referenced the "Julianos" source. Here's the link to that thread...
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53594

bobH 01-29-2012 03:21 PM

Question for lee34 (or anyone else)... What do you do to try & make it leak-proof? I installed a LB kit in my 34, and never made any attempt to seal it, as my primary interest was strictly cosmetic. But, it would be nice to seal it, too. (I used original tack-strip, and original steel top molding.) I was tempted to fill all the voids with black RTV - any opinions?

PeteVS 01-29-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 353145)
.... Mere mortals would be hard pressed to create the four quarter-round corners, but there is fellow in California who has the equipment and know-how to do it right.
Dave

Here's the guy Dave is mentioning, "Here's the information about the Oxnard, CA bender of reproduction top insert tack strips: Mark Mitchell of Mitchell Machine & Fabrication, (310) 649-7963, [email protected]."

lee34 01-29-2012 07:04 PM

Bobh;I just used the material and went by the direction provided by Julianos .You also have to form the 4 corners plus the slight curves on the sides.At the time I installed the top this was all that i could find.I had no tack strip covers and with this kit none was needed.The biggest complaint is wind noise.I have owned this car over 51 years and the noise was not there with the original Henry or the first replacement. I think the noise comes from the protrusion of the retainer for the material . I do not show my car as original .if I did I would loose points because of top and other modifications But I have NO LEAKS.(yet) Lee34

Gallie 06-15-2021 08:14 PM

Hi, I am located in Australia and having difficulty with information on how to install a new top in my 1934 Ford Fordor Deluxe. Tried contacting Le Baron Bonney and emails returned, are they no longer trading and if not does someone else supply the kits. Have tried contacting Mark Mitchell re the bending tool and the email was also returned. I would really appreciate any information as I've almost given up. John (Gallie)

JSeery 06-15-2021 08:31 PM

Ya, the thread was from back in 2012. Lot of good folks and services are no longer around.

koates 06-16-2021 10:22 PM

Gallie, Rather than buying a kit, the various components are available to buy separately in Australia. I have done this job on my 34 four door a few years ago. Any good motor trimmer would know how to do this job. Where are you in Australia ? You can PM (private message ) me and I might be able to point you in the right direction. LeBaron Bonney have been out of business for about three years. Regards, Kevin.