The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Leaky steering box (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109180)

Coreyfatboy 06-16-2013 12:28 PM

Leaky steering box

I have a 36 ford pick up and thought I had a bad oil leak and when I put it on my lift found it to be the steering box. Is this a hard fix. Thanks

woodypecker 06-16-2013 12:48 PM

Re: Leaky steering box

new grease might make it a lot better

trainguy 06-16-2013 12:51 PM

Depends where it is leaking from.There is a bottom plate where the light switch clips on.This plate is scewed to the box with 2,1/4 screws.The plate has a tube swedged to it which extends up inside the steering box.This tube often is loose or broken causing a leak into the light switch.You can buy this plate or repair yours.There is a gasket between the plate and the box.The other comon leak is caused by worn steering shaft bushings/shaft,which should be repaired.A thicker gear oil that can be obtained from restoration supply in Ca. will slow down the leak.

G.M. 06-16-2013 01:07 PM

Low temp grease works good. It's right next to the exhaust manifold so it don't
make the steering hard. G.M.

Coreyfatboy 06-16-2013 02:31 PM

I've noticed about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn of play in steering wheel. Box is probably shot. Rebuild or replace?

Lawson Cox 06-16-2013 03:50 PM

The play you find in the steering wheel generally indicates worn tie rod ends, or worn gears. Lay under the truck and have someone turn the wheel in both directions while you look for play in the tie rod. When any play in the tie rod ends is taken care of, you might be able to adjust the steering gear itself. Try all that before tearing the steering box out and taking it apart.

Bassman/NZ 06-16-2013 03:54 PM

I had a leaky box, put Penrite Steering Lube in, and it hasn't leaked a single drop since.

1931 flamingo 06-16-2013 07:16 PM

Penn-Rite steering box lube is the easy way out. Available from Restoration Specialties, Escondido, CA. They have a web site, about $15 + shipping.
Paul in CT

trainguy 06-16-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ (Post 671957)
I had a leaky box, put Penrite Steering Lube in, and it hasn't leaked a single drop since.

This is the stearing box lube from Restoration supply in calif.Good stuff. Phil

Talkwrench 06-16-2013 07:32 PM

I used Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer, its ok . maybe try the Penrite stuff and see how you go. There are very fine gaskets on that end plate so be careful if you pull it away.

Brendan 06-16-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainguy (Post 671886)
Depends where it is leaking from.There is a bottom plate where the light switch clips on.This plate is scewed to the box with 2,1/4 screws.The plate has a tube swedged to it which extends up inside the steering box.This tube often is loose or broken causing a leak into the light switch.You can buy this plate or repair yours.There is a gasket between the plate and the box.The other comon leak is caused by worn steering shaft bushings/shaft,which should be repaired.A thicker gear oil that can be obtained from restoration supply in Ca. will slow down the leak.

that is where my steering box leaks from, I figure it keeps the light switch lubed up...LOL

flatheadfan 06-17-2013 02:13 AM

Coreyfatboy-

Replace!! "35-'36 boxes are notorious for leaking even under the best of circumstances. Do yourself a HUGE favor and install a '37-'39 steering gear box. Granted, it involves some work but the end result is a better box (feels like power steering), easy to adjust and greatly reduces the tendency to leak. Go for it!

Tom

Coreyfatboy 06-17-2013 09:54 AM

What work is required to switch the box to a newer one

JM 35 Sedan 06-17-2013 10:05 AM

The original steering box on my 35 fordor sedan leaks bad when I use gear oil. Just before leaving home for the cross country tour I filled the box with JD Corn Head Grease. No leakage in the last 3,000 miles. I really don't want to change to the later box with rolling sector on an original Rouge class car. It steers fine with original steering gear.

JLB3 06-20-2013 07:52 AM

+1 for the John Deere corn head grease. Its made for "fill for life" gear applications and works well in steering boxes. Much thinner than typical grease.

peewee2you 06-20-2013 12:15 PM

Just as an FYI, the above company out of Escondido, CA is called Restoration Supply Company, not specialties, in case you were looking for it and going to go that route
1200w lube at $15. I was trying to find it under that name and didn't just trying to help out, thanks to Paul in CT., I did not know about this company.

1931 flamingo 06-20-2013 12:59 PM

peewee: specialties/supply, glad you found them. It works.
Paul in CT

blucar 06-21-2013 11:08 AM

I converted my '36 to a '40 steering box in 1955, what a difference, like adding power steering to the car.. Especially when trying to park.
I have used Motor Honey, STP, etc., in old car steering gears.. Works great.. Leave it sit in the sun for awhile, put a small funnel into the gear box and slowly pore the oil in..
The Motor Honey/STP is very sticky, does a good job of adhering to gears, shafts, etc..

rotorwrench 06-21-2013 12:07 PM

The Gemmer I type steering box designs aren't as good as the 37 on Gemmer II design with the rolling sector gear but they will work if you just want to drive the truck occasionally. The only place the sector & pitman will have little or no play is if the box is centered for driving straight down the road. It should be checked with the front wheels off the ground & centered. The play is ajustable to a certain degree. If the worm has excessive wear or galling pits in its gear surface, then it will have a notchy feel to it and will require replacement.

Henryat1140 06-21-2013 07:57 PM

Charlie NY (Charlie Schwendler) did an excellent job of rebuilding a 37 box for us.

He always goes the extra mile. Highly recommended.