The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51067)

JM 35 Sedan 10-22-2011 03:15 PM

Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA....

....is hopping. The weather is warm and sunny. There are more '39 and '40 Fords here than I have ever seen assembled in one place. Nice old Fords everywhere you look. The courthouse area is packed with people and old cars. Good swap meet. Got a great deal on a nice Stromberg 97 carb, a NOS '36-'35 starter switch, NOS universal joint, several late '36 flattop coils, etc. Food stands everywhere with great southern food. Also, the Ford Galaxie Club is here with more of these cars from late 50's to early 60's than I have ever seen. Met up with Vic Piano and his group from FL. Saw KiwiTony and his nice RHD '36 fordor from NZ. Saw 40cpe's car but didn't see him. Had a great time. Will plan to come back again.
I have taken lots of pictures but will not be able to post them until I get back home.

Nearly 200 of my pictures, taken at the Moonshine Festival and during our tour near Helen, GA, were added to this thread on 11/3/11 beginning on page 2, post #31.

Ray With 10-22-2011 04:09 PM

Re: Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA....

Would love to be able to make it but way to much at home to do so I will plan to make it next year.

40cpe 10-22-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 293470)
....is hopping. The weather is warm and sunny. There are more '39 and '40 Fords here than I have ever seen assembled in one place. Nice old Fords everywhere you look. The courthouse area is packed with people and old cars. Good swap meet. Got a great deal on a nice Stromberg 97 carb, a NOS '36-'35 starter switch, NOS universal joint, several late '36 flattop coils, etc. Food stands everywhere with great southern food. Also, the Ford Galaxie Club is here with more of these cars from late 50's to early 60's than I have ever seen. Met up with Vic Piano and his group from FL. Saw KiwiTony and his nice RHD '36 fordor from NZ. Saw 40cpe's car but didn't see him. Had a great time. Will plan to come back again.
I have taken lots of pictures but will not be able to post them until I get back home.

It really was a good show, with near perfect weather. I saw Vic, Steve, Mike, and KiwiTony, and Vic still needs a haircut Lawson.

40cpe 10-22-2011 07:54 PM

Don't know what happened, the post just posted itself!:confused:

Anyway, Vic and I tried to find JM so I could meet him, but no luck. Maybe next time, JM.

There were more cars by far this year than in any of the five years I've been there, and I think more swap vendors, too.

All in all, a very good weekend. We'll be traveling home tomorrow (Sunday).

Lawson Cox 10-22-2011 08:45 PM

It really was a good show, with near perfect weather. I saw Vic, Steve, Mike, and KiwiTony, and Vic still needs a haircut Lawson.

Vic uses the money he saves on haircuts to buy wooden Indians. LOL

JM 35 Sedan 10-22-2011 09:11 PM

Vic bought a coon skin Davy Crocket cap at one of the gift shops we stopped at on our Friday tour around Helen and Sautee. When he put that cap on you couldn't tell how long his hair was. LOL

Woogeroo 10-23-2011 04:06 AM

I was there today too, er yesterday... it was awesome watching those Ford Coupes coming around the turn on the way into downtown. Poetry in motion.

I'm glad I went. I never imagined I'd see that many Ford Coupes in my life, much less in one place. They were everywhere.

I also saw more Ford Starliners in one place at the car show than ever before. That is a fave car of mine, so it was neat to see. there were some mid to late 50's ford cars too...

... so, all of my favorite model Fords all in one place.

I also saw the living legend himself, David Pearson sitting on the running board of a old coupe downtown. I had to do a double take, I got a little star struck. :D

Great event folks.

The rest of the car show was HUGE and every kind of contraption you can think of.

-W

p.s. I also bought fudge & peanut brittle... always a sign of a good festival.

flatmotor40 10-23-2011 05:01 AM

Was up there Sat but never did see Vic's car down at Thunder Road walked it twice or three times Did talk to Ken in Ala.

JM 35 Sedan 10-23-2011 06:20 AM

I hung around Thunder Road awhile after the awards were presented. Got to see all the old stock cars coming back from the courthouse. Awesome sight and sound. Many were flathead powered. They also fired up two of the old dragsters parked in front of the museum for a couple minutes. Not sure what is happening today at the show but I need to get on back home. I think my wife is beginning to miss me :)

Old Redneck 10-23-2011 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Every year I plan to go but get tied up in a project home. Half to get done before cold weather sets in.I bought two more houses close to mine and been remodeling them to rent out. Got one done but the other half done now. Lots of hard work.I do feel bad that I did not come down.Since the V-8 National meet at Aurburn I have not touch my cars at all.I really got in more work then I wanted but that alwaays happen I guess.I did get the axle bearnings in the 50 forget that.I also wanted to drive the 39 Conv. down to the Moonshine event but Its just sitting in the garage.The motorhome has not been out of the garage for two years.I even miss Hershey the last two years.Being retired harder then working at least for me.Hope all you have a great time and love to see all those 40 Fords there. Please take lots of pictures to show us.Dang it sure wish I was there.Sure miss all you fellows.Was there a tour this year??? This picture Vic is driving my 39 and I am in the back seat seeing the sites.

JM 35 Sedan 10-23-2011 09:06 AM

Ken, they did have a tour as part of the MS Festival but Vic put on his own tour in the area where his Mom lives. Beautiful country! There were a lot of '39 convertables and also several '39 standard tudor sedans like yours here. I got lots of pics and will post some here when I get back home. Maybe start planning for next year now. Not too early to get your hotel lined up. Forget all that work :). We are all only original once so make the most of it and have fun!! I'm leaving for home now.....over and out :)

gerrald meacham 10-23-2011 10:16 AM

i was there my neck is sore from looking ,really like the forty from pratville ala , stock bone stock

Brendan 10-23-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck (Post 293773)
Every year I plan to go but get tied up in a project home. Half to get done before cold weather sets in.I bought two more houses close to mine and been remodeling them to rent out. Got one done but the other half done now. Lots of hard work.I do feel bad that I did not come down.Since the V-8 National meet at Aurburn I have not touch my cars at all.I really got in more work then I wanted but that alwaays happen I guess.I did get the axle bearnings in the 50 forget that.I also wanted to drive the 39 Conv. down to the Moonshine event but Its just sitting in the garage.The motorhome has not been out of the garage for two years.I even miss Hershey the last two years.Being retired harder then working at least for me.Hope all you have a great time and love to see all those 40 Fords there. Please take lots of pictures to show us.Dang it sure wish I was there.Sure miss all you fellows.Was there a tour this year??? This picture Vic is driving my 39 and I am in the back seat seeing the sites.

Readneck, sounds like you have to much junk, just sell some of those houses and buy some more worn out Fords LOL, Brendan

35fordtn 10-23-2011 11:30 PM

Where is thunder road in relation to the courthouse?

Vic Piano 10-24-2011 06:20 AM

We're back home and as usual we had a super time at the Festival. I wish we had more time to meet more "Barner's". I'll post some photos later today. Vic

JM 35 Sedan 10-24-2011 06:39 AM

Thunder Road is actually the area around the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame Museum. It's about a 1/4 mile or less from the old courthouse in downtown Dawsonville. It's an easy walk with lots to see along the way.

I drove the '35 from Dawsonville, GA to Jonesville, NC (about 40 miles from VA state line) yesterday. Ran about 60 MPH the whole way and the car ran cool and smooth the entire way. Should be in Front Royal, VA to pick up my tow rig by late morning and back home by late afternoon. It has been a great time doing the BRP Tour and attending the Moonshine Festival. I should have some pictures posted here tonight or tomorrow morning.

Ken/Alabama 10-24-2011 09:58 AM

I was there all weekend and had a great time . Talked to Kiwi Tony,Flatmotor40 Don , Vic and Im sure others here on the barn that I didnt reconize. My old 40 made it there and back without any problems,got home about 8:30 Sunday nite.

KiWinUS 10-24-2011 07:06 PM

WOW what a grrrrreat Moonshine fest !!!!!!!!!! Thanks Rhonda !!
Great to meet some new faces from the Barn & as always great to see the great friends I have made thru the barn & met at previous M/S fests !!!
Thanks for the great friendship All !!!
cheers
Tony

1931 flamingo 10-25-2011 12:42 AM

Anybody besides Vic take pictures that they can share??
Paul in CT

flatmotor40 10-25-2011 05:08 AM

Glad you made it home Ken get to work on Zepher