The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Casting shift (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102933)

Max41 04-10-2013 06:27 AM

Casting shift

In a few short words, please explane to me the definition of casting shift.

Dale Fairfax 04-10-2013 06:51 AM

Re: Casting shift

If you're referring to an engine block, it's when one or more of the baked sand cores which are placed in the mold cavity to form the cylinders mislocates during the pouring of the hot iron. The mold cavity is defined by the exterior of the pattern-which looks like the outside of the block. The interior of the engine is defined by the various cores that are placed (and usually "glued" in place in the cavity. When the iron is poured, it goes everywhere there is no core or mold cavity wall. If the "glue" fails or the core was improperly placed the core and thos the cylinder will be off location.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max41 (Post 629488)
In a few short words, please explane to me the definition of casting shift.

rotorwrench 04-10-2013 08:26 AM

They were actually held in suspension by wires. Many times you can find core wire inside an old block if it has not been cleaned out well during previous overhauls. The wires become part of the block during the pour but they sometimes melt out of position or were not placed in the mold box well during assembly of the mold. THis can shift the placement of the cylinders enough to make one side very thin and the other very thick. The only way to non-destructively test it without X-ray or gama-ray pictures. is with ultrasonic equipment.

Dale Fairfax 04-10-2013 08:44 AM

Kinda forgot about thewires-I think most of the modern ones are pasted.
Recommend to anyone interested in the mfg technology of the V-8 to obtain a copy of either the Francis/DeAngelis or,even, the Tony Thacker book to see the complex collection of cores required to creat that casting. I don't think there is a modern counterpart : the complexity of a modern cylinder head combined with that of a cylinder block.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 629550)
They were actually held in suspension by wires. Many times you can find core wire inside an old block if it has not been cleaned out well during previous overhauls. The wires become part of the block during the pour but they sometimes melt out of position or were not placed in the mold box well during assembly of the mold. THis can shift the placement of the cylinders enough to make one side very thin and the other very thick. The only way to non-destructively test it without X-ray or gama-ray pictures. is with ultrasonic equipment.

Henry/Kokomo 04-10-2013 09:18 AM

I rebuilt an 8ba last year. Found core wires in both the rear exhaust ports. Surprised they hadn't burned out.

Max41 04-10-2013 01:16 PM

Thanks all.