The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Missing spring? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73325)

tyler 06-05-2012 11:39 AM

Missing spring?

Excuse my ignorance but is there supposed to be a spring in the valve chamber between the upper and lower dist. shafts and if so, why can I not find one listed in Mac's cataloge?

Tyler

Bob C 06-05-2012 11:56 AM

Re: Missing spring?

Here it is.
http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-for...0R3CHL1067766/

Bob

BRENT in 10-uh-C 06-05-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler (Post 438060)
Excuse my ignorance but is there supposed to be a spring in the valve chamber between the upper and lower dist. shafts and if so, why can I not find one listed in Mac's cataloge?

Tyler

Yes, ...but cannot give you a reason why it isn't in the MAC's catalog

Patrick L. 06-05-2012 01:05 PM

The way I read your question, I'd have to say no.. But,, I may not understand your question.. Most times, I don't understand much of anything these days..
There originally was a shaft between the oil pump drive gear and the distributor shaft.. [Some have been replaced with a single long shaft].. These have off-set slots and notches and the lower shaft should be able to be removed from the oil pump drive thru the distributor hole in the head.. The oil pump drive gear is attached to a shaft running from the camshaft to the oil pump.. This shaft and retainer housing is held in place with a retainer spring that is accessed through the valve chamber..
So from your post, we may not be sure of which shaft you're referring to..

tyler 06-05-2012 03:26 PM

O.K., I see it's listed under parts for the oil pump and I was figuring it should have been listed with the distributor stuff. I was sure there was a spring there when I took it apart but couldn't find the old one and couldn't find anything in the catalog.
Thanks for letting me know I haven't lost my mind.

Tyler

Tom Wesenberg 06-05-2012 06:54 PM

Quite often that spring will have rust pits, so it should be replaced anyway. The same goes for the spring on the bottom of the oil pump.

tyler 06-05-2012 07:14 PM

Sorry for the confusion Patrick, I know not what I do. I am refering to the spring accessable through the valve chamber. I replaced the one on the bottom of the oil pump when we rebuilt that. Looked high and low for the old spring in question, and must have tossed it with the old valve springs, then discovered that I had a new one in my last box of parts that I hadn't opened yet! Now I'm glad I didn't find the old one 'cause I would have put it in and then found my new one.

Does this crap happen to you guys too or am I starting to lose it?
Thanks again for the help everyone, makes this project much easier.

Tyler

tyler 06-05-2012 08:41 PM

Thanks Ed. Makes me feel better.

Tyler

Patrick L. 06-06-2012 02:01 PM

No need to be sorry,, I'm usually in a state of confusion just as I was this time.. Everyone knew what you were talking about except me which is the norm rather than the exception..

juke joint johnny 06-06-2012 02:21 PM

Don't Worry!!!

No one said that fixing an old car that most people thought was junk 70 years ago

makes any sense anyway !!! You Don't have to be Crazy to try but it Helps!!!!!

John Cochran

V4F 06-06-2012 02:29 PM

try vintage ford or snyders

Russ/40 06-06-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler (Post 438373)

Does this crap happen to you guys too or am I starting to lose it?
Thanks again for the help everyone, makes this project much easier.

Tyler

I can't tell you the number of times I have purchased a part that I had purchased previously. Especially a problem in restorations with long periods of inactivity.

CarlG 06-06-2012 03:46 PM

Last night I stripped the threads on a part. Spent several hours trying to track down a replacement part before I remembered I had a brand new one on the shelf!

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-07-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 439037)
Last night I stripped the threads on a part. Spent several hours trying to track down a replacement part before I remembered I had a brand new one on the shelf!

Carl,
"Discovery is part of the fun! Gregg & I call it "BRAIN FARTS":eek:
My hibernating engine, built by a very reputable local rebuilder in '87, had no oil pump drive gear housing spring, gear housing would NOT PULL OUT, I don't know how it is locked in. Also, they peened over the oil pump dowel pin so the pump wouldn't fall out when dropping the pan, pretty trick idea! Many times when ordering small, cheap parts, I order 2 or 3 for spares, then I can suck up to buddies by giving parts for free! Giving away stuff is great FUN!:D Engine ran primo, but blew oil out the front, like clear up to the head! Ol' stupid Bill said, "We'll rip of all the externals & re-seal & re- gasket everything & pop off the head & put the high-tech head gasket." Oil leak was a missing timing cover bolt back inside that lower rectangular hole under the generator mount. (cuss-cuss) I ain't perfect, either!:eek: Bill W.

Drive Shaft Dave 12-16-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 439037)

And I thought I was the only one that did that.

Mike V. Florida 12-16-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ/40 (Post 439002)
I can't tell you the number of times I have purchased a part that I had purchased previously. Especially a problem in restorations with long periods of inactivity.

I second that!!!!!

700rpm 12-16-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ/40 (Post 439002)

This why I now keep a log of everything I do to a car, and every part I buy. BUT, while I know where the list is, I don't always know where I put the part!