The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shoulder belt in a coupe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35142)

Richard Lorenz 04-23-2011 09:22 AM

Shoulder belt in a coupe

I am restoring a '31 coupe and would like to install seat belts with shoulder straps. I think that the best place to anchor the shoulder belt would be to the cab structure above the package tray. This will be for my 6' 8'' grandson. Any suggestions about how to do this?

Special Coupe Frank 04-23-2011 09:39 AM

Re: Shoulder belt in a coupe

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but before starting on this project, you might want to make sure your 6' 8" grandson can even get inside the vehicle...

I'm 6'2", and really can't imagine anyone over 6'4" or 6'5" fitting in a Model A coupe...

Just a thought...

Richard Lorenz 04-23-2011 01:09 PM

On the tight fit, he has driven my '29 Tudor a lot with no problem. For the coupe we are moving the seat back as far as possible and might have to lower it.

CarlG 04-23-2011 01:30 PM

There is a world of difference in the amount of front seat room in a Tudor as opposed to the Coupe or Pickup.

Jason in TX 04-23-2011 01:55 PM

You want the mounting point to be above the shoulder, not below. If you were to be in a wreck, the downward force of a low mounted belt would push down on his shoulder possibly causing serious back injury.

montanajohn 04-23-2011 03:42 PM

Richard -- RE shoulder belt, I have similar concerns and plans for my '31 coupe, but I am months away from actually doing anything about it, since a roll-down rear window and new upholstery projects are also in the works, and it is still snowing here.
I plan on rolling a 20-gauge curved plate of sheet metal that will fit between the side window and rear window and be TIG-welded to the body vertical ribs that form the edges of the window openings, and be hidden by the upholstery. Before welding the curved plate in place, I will have welded-on two mounting nuts, separated by a few inches, that the upper shoulder belt bracket (or swivel) will bolt into. The nuts will be flush with the inside of the curved plate. When the upholstery is back in place, the preferred nut can be located with an awl, and the shoulder belt bracket installed. Why two nuts? Just to give some choice to get a comfortable fit for the belt. One would probably suffice. I will do the same on the passenger side. Obviously, the upholstery has to be out of the way, and everything protected from flying sparks. I haven't looked at the possibility of using sheet metal screws or rivets instead of TIG welding, but that might be a possibility. It is also obvious that this will not be as strong as the lap belt floor mounts that use washers and big bolts through the frame, but I mainly hope just to avoid a face plant on the steering wheel.

callcoy 04-23-2011 04:06 PM

Tig welding is a must, don't fool around with screws and pop riviets unless you are an engineer and have calculated the loads. The sheet metal should be heavier than lighter, say 14 ga. Your nut (s) should be in a shear plane, meaning the pull should be across the fastner, not where you are trying to pull the bolt out of the nut.

If you need the special shouldered pivot bolts, I have a bunch, email me, you pay the frt. the rest is free. I am on the road, may be home May 3rd. or may have to stay untill the second week of June. Most all the bolts I have are SAE-NF thread, usually 7/16", so if you get ahead of my return to check stock, just use 7/16". If you can wait, I will look them over and let you know what other sizes I have. My email is listed if you click on my Barn name.

jw hash 04-23-2011 09:00 PM

we just finished a 30 coupe for Richard Erwin he is 6'4" we cut the package down put in a roll down rear window moved the seat back and installed retractable seat belts with shoulder harness he took pictures and made drawing of what I did here is his email address [email protected] drop him a email I`m sure he will get back to you.