The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Project! '53 Mercury Monterey 2dr. Hardtop (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33368)

metalman 04-17-2011 11:06 AM

Re: New Project! '53 Mercury Monterey 2dr. Hardtop

I've cut up and customized many a car as a professional custom car builder for the last 30+ years and today I just can't do it to a nice original car that is all there, something tell me they just don't make them anymore and everyone we cut up means one less nice stocker left in the world.
I'm not opposed to do simple changes that doesn't destroy the "bones" of the car. Some goodies on the flatmoter, lowering the stock suspension, wheels/ tire swaps, even paint/ uphostery choice is ok in my book if your taste is something custom (my taste is), just nothing that would prevent it ever going back stock like a chop top or major frame swap ect.
Plenty of previous cut up stuff out there that could never be restored that's suitable for a nice radical custom if that's what you want.
Judging by the pole you are asking your really thinking along these same ideas.

Barry B./ Ma. 04-17-2011 01:59 PM

I wish I could post the pictures of my 53 Merc. Monterey but don't know how. Mine was stock except for skirts and was a knockout being light blue on the bottom and dark blue on top (still have some touchup paint), had the Merc full wheel covers and factory red wheels with wide whitewalls. Those 53 wheel covers really made it and it had the clear built in road lamps up front. Hope I can find another one some day. I say go for stock, Ford knew what they were doing.

wiretwister 04-17-2011 11:03 PM

Tip of the day,
I bought a new 53 Merc hardtop Drove it 3 miles to a friends body shop to modify the hood and adapt 51 merc skirts.
We found that the nose of a 49 51 ford hood will fit, when trimmed, directly into the revile where the big bird was. Made a super appearance.
Loved that car. Had to sell it when army sent me overseas.
Bill

Frank Miller 04-18-2011 08:52 AM

If you want a custom get a shoebox. They are cheap, plentiful and nothing ever fit right to begin with so you will be cutting and welding either way. This car on the other hand will look and drive beautifully just the way it is. A stock restoration never goes out of style.

Ol' Ron 04-18-2011 03:23 PM

Back in the late 50's?? a friend of mine put 54 tail lights in his 53/53 Merc, can't remember what he did to the hood. Painted crimson and black. Had to be the most beautiful car I've ever seen. Had a set of pipes on it that would berak windiws.

STEVE1103 07-19-2011 06:04 PM

Anyone have a dash pod, for a 53, where the heater controls are, have the gauges.
[email protected]

Deuce Man 07-19-2011 09:29 PM

Pinstriper 40 In my search for Model A parts, I saw a couple of mercs in Mike Martells wrecking yard down in wishek N.D. acres and acres of neat stuff! Rich

TJ 07-19-2011 10:23 PM

Two tone the paint in stock Merc colors, dress up the flathead, put in stock Merc upholstery(it was a tuck and roll from the factory), lower it, bolt on set of full length lake pipes, no skirts, and wide whites with Dodge Lancer spinner hubcaps. It will look cool and can return to stock by just unbolting the pipes and replacing the hubcaps.

rdl 03-04-2014 07:14 PM

I owned a 53 Merc. Monterey 2 door hardtop back in the 50's and loved the car. I added a continental kit to the back and lowered it 6". It had twin spots and outside mirrors and twin raked antennae on the back fins. Other than that it was pretty stock and a real eye catcher. My greatest sadness is that I was stupid enough of a kid to want a new car for graduation and traded this one for a 57 Plymouth Fury 2 dr ht. Today, I would have my Merc back in a flash if I had the money to restore one. For all of you who own one take great care of your car as they are truely beautiful works of art.

Alaska Jim 03-05-2014 02:49 AM

I have had several 52-53 fords none of them had a 3 piece rear window.

Alaska Jim 03-05-2014 02:56 AM

op's you are right, the hard tops had the 3 piece window, I must be getting old. sorry, ---Jim

Merc Cruzer 03-05-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken ct (Post 187158)
Looks like a 52 to me by the taillites. ?? keep it stock. ken ct OMO

52'-53' tail lights are the same. To include the bezel that is stamped 52.

Ol' Ron 03-05-2014 10:39 AM

How's the rebuild coming along, should be almost done by now. Like to see how it came out.