The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Summer school... the early Ford way (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77640)

39portlander 07-22-2012 02:54 PM

Summer school... the early Ford way

4 Attachment(s)
When I can, I try to involve the neighborhood kid's and my nephew's with my restoration project. I was lucky to get a few good hour's out of my younger nephew sat.

Thank's to Toby Lampert for the Crab Distributor cores for some "summer school". Had him take one apart and re-assemble it and the 2nd time he had to remember the names of the part's he was putting together, even had him learn how to look up rebuild kit's/points from several catalogs.

As you can see, the attention span was about gone in that last picture:D Scott

grinnin 07-22-2012 03:38 PM

Re: Summer school... the early Ford way

Good for you! We ain't gitting any younger and somebody needs to be able to keep'em running when we can't. My grandson got his first taste of oil under my Model-A pickup when he was about 12. Now he's helping with my '39 pickup. He's 21 now and we're still buddies.

41ford1 07-22-2012 03:44 PM

It's nice to see some young'uns interested in something other than a video game. At least he didn't suffer any gravity storms. It would be nice if there was a way of spinning the distributer with power to it so he could see if it works. That might lengthen his attention span.

Lawson Cox 07-22-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41ford1 (Post 465831)
It's nice to see some young'uns interested in something other than a video game. At least he didn't suffer any gravity storms. It would be nice if there was a way of spinning the distributer with power to it so he could see if it works. That might lengthen his attention span.

There is a way. Electric drill motor with proper attachment made to fit the lug on the back. Hook up battery and coil and see it spark. I don't know all of the ins and outs of it yet, but a friend does it to check his work. Neat.

FL&WVMIKE 07-22-2012 05:16 PM

39portlander ...............
Hey, you got them away from the TV and/or computer.
Anyway, everybody has to pick their nose at some time or another !
MIKE :)

Shadetree 07-22-2012 08:37 PM

It is good to see kids using their hands for something other than sending text messages. From what I hear there is a real demand for engineers, machinists and mechanics.

My uncle was a mechanic and I always enjoyed helping him. Of course I got the dirty jobs like cleaning the oil pan.

39portlander 07-23-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 465880)
39portlander ...............
Hey, you got them away from the TV and/or computer.
Anyway, everybody has to pick their nose at some time or another !
MIKE :)

So I say's to myself, what is he talkin about. And I thought "no he did'nt!!"

Thought I missed something and Mike, in that last picture it look's that way. He's was eating peanuts in the shell and trust me that is what he was doing:D Got a good laugh out of it though.