The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1935 Ford Oil Pan Removal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73650)

RandyLPeterson 06-08-2012 02:41 PM

1935 Ford Oil Pan Removal

Taking the oil Pan off a 35 Ford Sedan and was wondering what steps you guys take to remove the pan.. Or How far a guy has to jack the engine.. I have the Engine up about an inch or so and I still dont have enough room to squeek er out of there. Thanks..
Randy L Peterson

flatheadfan 06-08-2012 04:41 PM

Re: 1935 Ford Oil Pan Removal

Randy-

Removing the oil pan from a '35 is (at best), a nightmare. I have done it several times and there are no shortcuts.

To answer your question you really need to jack-up the engine enough to slide a 2" x 4" piece of wood between the the engine mounts and the rubber mounts. Obviously, you must have all four hoses off, the fuel pump off and the exhaust disconnected. You will also need to disconnect the front wishbone. To do this you remove the front U-bolts and tilt the rear of the wishbone down to fit an 8" block of wood between the fame and the wishbone end. To be honest you really should pull the entire wishbone assembly out or at the minimum remove the wheels and drop the entire wish bone down to the floor. If you have mechanical brakes you will need to disconnect the brake rods.

Needless-to-say, many other items are going to need attention before the pan can be wiggled off. Undoubtedly others will probably add to what I have listed. Unfortunately, I have been forced to do this too many times and it still is an eight hour job.

Good luck!

Tom

G.M. 06-08-2012 06:10 PM

There were several instructions posted several weeks ago.You can look up past posts. G.M.

RandyLPeterson 06-08-2012 07:10 PM

Thats the posts I was lookin for but My Norweigen Looking up Skills didnt find em LOL.. ANYHOW.. I got the pan out.. Another 1/4 inch up with the engine and I got er out. NOW The oil leak seems to be that the Pan is a 35 style Pan with the Vent in the Right front corner of the pan. and the Block appears to be of the 34 Style with no breather tube coming down.... So time to put my thinking cap on and figure out what I am gonna do to permenantly stop this leak.. Thanks for this GREAT SIGHTRandy L Peterson

David J 06-08-2012 07:32 PM

Some on here have just plugged the vent . None reported any bad after so it must work . Also the breather pipe under the fuel pump stand isn't needed as you are using a non-vented block and those dont have the socket for it to seal into . Probably a good idea to leave the pipe out .
Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyLPeterson (Post 440424)
Thats the posts I was lookin for but My Norweigen Looking up Skills didnt find em LOL.. ANYHOW.. I got the pan out.. Another 1/4 inch up with the engine and I got er out. NOW The oil leak seems to be that the Pan is a 35 style Pan with the Vent in the Right front corner of the pan. and the Block appears to be of the 34 Style with no breather tube coming down.... So time to put my thinking cap on and figure out what I am gonna do to permenantly stop this leak.. Thanks for this GREAT SIGHTRandy L Peterson

RandyLPeterson 06-09-2012 08:58 AM

Plugging the vent is the plan..