The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does your car stall when you come to a stop ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86646)

inex01 10-20-2012 05:12 AM

Does your car stall when you come to a stop ?

After I completely rebuilt my carb the car would stall almost every time I came to a stop and I took the carb off and adjusted the float so many times I can not even remember, also changed the float valve and made sure it was not burred, also replaced the idle jet, you name it I did it including purchasing a new intake and exhaust manifold and having both freshly machined to assure a good seal and no vacuum leaks.

Well I finally found the problem "At least with my car" When I would start the car cold I turned the GAV out about a full tun + or - and then when the engine started advanced the timing and then keeping the engine a about 600 RPM would adjust the GAV for a high idle then turn in about 1/8, well that was the problem..... The GAV was in too much and when I went to stop it would not fill up the secondary well fast enough. I now have the GAV set slightly less than a 1/4 turn out from the closed position. What a difference the car NEVER STALLS and runs smooth as silk now. When on the road I do lean the engine slightly and adjust the timing and last fill up I averaged about 18 MPG so looks like I have it set up pretty well and the car performs super :) . I hope this may help someone.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-20-2012 06:21 AM

Re: Does your car stall when you come to a stop ?

Good work Chuck!

marc hildebrant 10-20-2012 09:02 AM

I believe that the quarter turn on the GAV is also found in the Ford Car Manual.

On cold days, I too open the GAV more than normal.....almost one turn. Then, once it is "kind of warm" I turn it back to 1/4 open, per the Ford Owners Manual (Doesn't Everyone have One ?).

Gas Mileage is 20 on trips.

Marc

Gary WA 10-20-2012 05:12 PM

No!:)

inex01 10-21-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc hildebrant (Post 519933)
I believe that the quarter turn on the GAV is also found in the Ford Car Manual.

On cold days, I too open the GAV more than normal.....almost one turn. Then, once it is "kind of warm" I turn it back to 1/4 open, per the Ford Owners Manual (Doesn't Everyone have One ?).

Gas Mileage is 20 on trips.

Marc

I am getting 18 MPG combined, but around town "City" about 15 MPG.I generally drive the car 150 miles a week and do track the fuel mileage every fill up, do this as it is a good gauge of the engine's health, if mileage drops there is something wrong like point gap or whatever.

JBill 10-21-2012 10:56 AM

Do Zeniths and Tillotsons respond differently to gav setting? I'm running a Tillotson. I set the gav once. I found where it seemed to run and idle best and have not touched it since. No, it doesn't stall at stop signs.