The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   34 Roadsters how many were built? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58077)

trevo 01-04-2012 11:51 PM

34 Roadsters how many were built?

Ford Men, as I understand it an awful lot of records were lost in a fire but does anyone have an idea as to how many 34 Roadsters were built in the US, yes they were also produced in Australia at Geelong but they have several differences like mainly wooden framework etc. Secondly does anyone have any idea as to how many remain in the US? Cheers.

roadster36 01-05-2012 12:45 AM

Re: 34 Roadsters how many were built?

According to the V8 Album, there were 5071 deluxe roadsters built in 1934. In 1933 there were 202 standard roadsters and 4,801 deluxe roadsters built.

Tudortomnz 01-05-2012 01:40 AM

I dont know what were the production totals of roadsters from Ford of Canada, but here are the Australian totals ; these must have been part of Ford Canada roadsters even though the bodies were manufactured at Geelong,Victoria. Chassis were imported [ cowls also?] & designated 'rsdstr chassis', 'coupe chassis' etc.
During 1933&'34 Ford Australia made 1038 rdstrs[ 468 in '33, 570 in '34] with same numbering sequence. This comes from NZ Classis Cars' May 2007 article on a '34 Aussie rdstr restored in NZ . Why were they different to Nth American bodies found in other countries?. Basically, the Australian govt only allowed Ford to set up its Geelong plant in 1925 so as to manufacture, not just assemble cars within Australia. Because of low production, they had to use cheaper production methods, so wood framing & floors initially, rather than metal stamping. Many of the small items were sourced within Australia. This policy gave Australia a large auto industry .

trevo 01-05-2012 02:08 AM

Thanks Men for the info on the Fords, seems my 34 Plymouth Roadster of which 151 were produced and all sent to Aust in a mobile but knocked down form and from the doors back the body was completed by Holden in an effort to create an auto industry in Aus Fords were similarly treated at Geelong.

Tudortomnz 01-05-2012 02:30 AM

Trevo, I think Chrysler Australia in '30's used bodies made by TJ Richards [ Vic?] Holdens mostly supplied GM Australia. There was a thriving body building industry in Australia after WW 1

trevo 01-05-2012 02:55 AM

Thanks, I have been told it was Holden bodied the car is restored and tags long gone more research then, guess there will be descripencies with Aussie built vehicles and then we got most of our Fords from Canada and some differences again!!

52merc 01-05-2012 02:55 AM

trevo was that caqr from national park many years ago trev

FlatheadTed 01-05-2012 04:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The wood between the US ones and the Auzy ones are almost identical ,You can see by the photos.photo one and four are the US one and 2 & 3 the Auzy ones .The difference is the Floor were the Auzy one had wood from the front of the Rumble ricer forward .My understanding was that the Australian Govt wanted a high percentage of local content in the cars as they were imported as Knock down body's .They went to a lot of trouble to put the Wood floor in. These were US body's cut down ,fact the wood floor in picture 5 has a certain appeal .As far as values go there may not be much between them on Brizeos site you can see the US and Auzy Phat on side by side being restored .

FlatheadTed 01-05-2012 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Auzy Roadster

DavidG 01-05-2012 05:54 AM

Ted,

The bodies were built in Australia and not from U.S. bodies with the floor partially removed. First of all, they would not have come from the U.S. as Ford Australia was a Ford of Canada subsidiary. Second, the Australian bodies do not meet up flush with the running boards at the bottom of the rocker panels, just like in your photo. The U.S. and Canadian-manufactured bodies' doors and quarter panels do meet up with the running boards which means that the quarter panels, rocker panels, and doors (and much inside those components) are not interchangeable between the Australian and North American built bodies.

Ford may have done some goofy things in those days, but with all due respect what you suggest is not one of them.

Roadster36,

Those are U.S. domestic production figures only and as a result significantly understate total world-wide production.

FlatheadTed 01-05-2012 02:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
David G I will grant you that they did come from Canada but were American designed body's to start with ( or the term down here is it US or Auzy )and came in as knocked down body's excluding the floor . It is often mentioned that the Australian body's have a lot of wood as if the US body's have non ,when in fact the wood is near identical except the floor .I am aware of the fact that the rockers doors and A pillar does not meet the running board , In fact it appears the Roadster body's were shortened on purpose to accommodate the floor .I own 3 of these vehicles and have other US body's side by side to compare them with .Its unlikely that Ford Australia would have done expensive tooling to stamp such a limited run of 700 cars .As far as I can tell there stamping at that stage consisted of smaller components only, but this could be open to debate . You can see very clearly on all the cowl sections were they have cut and a patch panel leaded in to change the angle of the US body's lower swag (photo attached ) .As far as the internal components)being interchangeable, there are differences on door locks and A&B pillar brackets but could be made to work on ether body.All body mesurments are the same except were the A & B pillor & doors have been shortened .

Ford may have done some goofy things in those days, but with all due respect what you suggest is not one of them.
please explain then why all the Auzy dashes have a left and right hand holes to mount the steering colume .

roadster36 01-05-2012 03:14 PM

I apologize for quoting from the V8 book. I thought I was answering his question.

Mr 42 01-05-2012 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Australian top bows are different from US made also.

They have an extra bend in them.

So the US made woodbows wont work.

FlatheadTed 01-05-2012 04:54 PM

Trevo Sorry for taking over your thred ,I dont have the answer to your question ,Someone like Ed solarie might know

Lawrie 01-05-2012 05:11 PM

Ted there is a difference in the 33 and 34,s here.
A USA and specially a NZ assembled car fetch a premium over the Aussie version .
Lawrie

52merc 01-05-2012 05:30 PM

way to go mate you coming across the ditch trev

David J 01-05-2012 10:25 PM

Anyone ever see a 33-34 passenger dash that DIDN'T have both sets of steering coulmn bolt holes ? I don't recall ever seeing one . Yeah this doesn't address the "how many" thing but it was asked about above . Dunno squat bout aussie cars so izza otta hear :D David J

Tudortomnz 01-06-2012 01:58 AM

Compare any Australian made '33 & '34 Ford to a Nth American body, especially
the Sedan , Coupe & Coupe Ute. They were manufactured at Geelong, they had the metal panel presses since the Model A era & are not 'cut' Nth American bodies.

Bick in New Zealand 01-06-2012 02:11 AM

I recall somewhere that the Aussie roadster bodies were based on the 5 window coupe, whereas the American ones were based on the 3 window.
I saw a fabulous maroon with poppy red wheels 33/34 roadster in town earlier this week, couldn't stop to check out all the details, but it looked great!

Tudortomnz 01-06-2012 02:32 AM

[QUOTE=Bick in New Zealand;338144]I recall somewhere that the Aussie roadster bodies were based on the 5 window coupe, whereas the American ones were based on the 3 window.

Hi Bick - Ford Australia based their 1935 '36 rdstr on the local 5W coupe, which is the only one they made. The canvas area is therefore somewhat longer than Nth American rdstrs. But the actual Aussie '35 '36 coupe looks much the same as US/ Canada coupes.

[