The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   4 post lifts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290132)

cajunfirehawk 11-14-2020 10:00 PM

Re: 4 post lifts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 1952213)
I also have a 4 post lift, made by Backyard Buddy in Ohio, with increased height and length as compared to their standard lift. I wanted to make sure I could lift a 3/4T, 4WD, extended length truck and most any type passenger car. Although I've had it for 3 years, I just set it up in a new shop last year, and have not used it that much. I will say it assembled relatively easily, works well, and is definitely a well designed, high quality lift. It was a bit more expensive than other lifts I priced but sometimes you get what you pay for. Safety, quality, reliability, and versatility were all carefully considered when making this purchase.

I see backyard buddy and advantage are under the same umbrella now, but it still appears only backyard buddy claims made in USA but says advantage is making them for them :rolleyes: AFAIK Advantage like most other lifts; bendpak, wildfire, and MOST other lifts are in fact made overseas. To me the biggest thing down the road will be warranty and who will be around in 5-10 yrs for replacement parts. We know Bendpak isn't going anywhere but I do not like the fact that they are made overseas. I've been down this road several times and buying a lift is no easy choice...YMMV!

TagMan 11-14-2020 10:38 PM

I've had a BackYard Buddy for 27-years and never had a problem. I've used it at least once every two weeks on average and moved it 800 miles to my new shop. If I wanted another 4-poster, BYB would be the one I'd buy.

fordwife 11-14-2020 11:06 PM

I agree on Bend Pak lifts. For what its worth, Jay Leno has several of them.

1stford 11-14-2020 11:17 PM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Tinker 11-15-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordwife (Post 1952238)
I agree on Bend Pak lifts. For what its worth, Jay Leno has several of them.

Jay Leno? Okay. Great guy but??? :rolleyes::D

V8 Bob 11-15-2020 09:05 AM

I bought a Backyard Buddy lift 18 years ago and have had excellent service. I needed a 4 post that could be easily moved from the unheated portion of my shop to the heated winter area, and possibly be capable of movement with a vehicle on it, and BYB was iirc the only 4-post at that time that could safely do that. Most of the cheaper 4-post lifts I've seen require being bolted down, much less being moved with a vehicle, so that's something that should be considered when looking at 4-post lifts. If I needed another 4-post, it would be BYB.

big job 11-15-2020 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My thought is there will always be pros and cons with any tool. 4 post good for oil and
grease jobs and storage underneath. We went with a 15000 # bend pac two post. the
pros brake jobs transmissions removing engines by bye with chain falls. Then many
pickup trucks you have to remove the body for a new fuel tank or replace the fuel pump.
Then how many cabs have we changed two many, thanks to this twin post that acts like
a crane. And yes with a car on it with it up you still can store something under neath.

Shoebox 11-15-2020 11:04 AM

I purchased a Bendpak 4 post lift a couple years ago and I love it. I got one rolling bridge jack with it for removing tires, brake work, etc. FREE shipping was offered at the time. I had it shipped direct to a local installer who did some preassembly, then brought it to my shop and set up. I had the air and 220v ready for them.

mrtexas 11-15-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stford (Post 1951944)
Anyone have experience with 4 post lifts? I was considering 2 different ones. One made by forward/direct lift or bendpak. The bend pack set up is going to run about 1500-1800 more then the forward.

Really just wondering if the name brand is worth the extra money or if direct lift is a good one?

Bendpak is the best by far. I have 2 bendpak 4 post lifts and one parking lift.
I bought two of them used and one new.

I installed all 3 of the lifts by myself with the help of an engine hoist.

Look at the details of the bendpak vs competition. Bendpak has bigger cable pulleys and built in grease fittings. BP requires an air compressor due to pneumatic safety latches.

Bendpak vs Direct Lift, if you care about quality...
https://www.bendpak.com/a-study-in-l...ft-vs-bendpak/

Bored&Stroked 11-15-2020 08:59 PM

I have a BP - I chose this company after looking at the design, thickness of the steel, etc.. I have seen quite a few knock-offs (like Atlas), that even "look" the same (painted the same colors), until you start really going over the thickness of the steel, construction, etc..

I'll stick with BP for everything that I buy - why???? - because my body is underneath them! :)

Graeme / New Zealand 11-16-2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1952132)
One of the youtube channels I follow is Mustie1. he bought a Wildfire 4 poster. He bought it after seeing one on another youtube channel Vice grip garage. just mentioning as he (Mustie 1) seems very pleased with it.

https://youtu.be/jhwB237I360

No affiliation, just posting in case it proves useful.

Mart.

Vice Grip Garage...love that channel.."well I'll be dipped".

GB

1stford 11-16-2020 11:04 AM

Thanks to everyone that responded. I just ordered the bendpak HD-7W.

glennpm 11-16-2020 11:09 AM

Get a rolling bridge jack or two if you can afford it.

Krylon32 11-16-2020 11:43 AM

1stford: You won't be dissapointed

Shoebox 11-16-2020 12:07 PM

X2 on a rolling bridge jack or two when able.

geoford41 12-04-2020 12:08 PM

I have Back Yard Buddy 4 poster that I bought from my neighbor about 4 years ago, its a great lift made in Ohio and the posts are steel tubing with all 4 sides solid steel, I believe a lot of the Chinese steel posts are folded steel with 1 side open. I feel confident in my lift and it sits on a Race Deck floor with no problems. I bought 4 of the optional wheels that attached to the bottom and of each post and allows easy moving of the entire lift. In fact I bought these and moved the lift a couple of blocks to my garage without taking the lift apart.
As JM 35 sedan posted the lifts are a little pricey but the confidence level and safety factor is worth the extra cost, Mine came with 4 PO fabricated drip pans

Lawrie 12-04-2020 07:42 PM

We are still lucky here in Australia ,we can still get Aus made hoists, we fitted a Molnar one to my sons shed ,4 posters NOT cheap but will be there for the duration.
Lawrie

FL&WVMIKE 12-06-2020 06:34 PM

2 post is best for actually working on cars. Most of what you work on is brakes/suspension, etc... which requires wheels to be removed. With a 4 post, the wheels are on the ground. Even if you do lift the wheel up with a jack, the lift is still physically in the way.

For working on a car, 2 post for the win. For storing a car, most people choose the 4 post.

JSeery 12-06-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 1960148)
2 post is best for actually working on cars. Most of what you work on is brakes/suspension, etc... which requires wheels to be removed. With a 4 post, the wheels are on the ground. Even if you do lift the wheel up with a jack, the lift is still physically in the way.

For working on a car, 2 post for the win. For storing a car, most people choose the 4 post.

I hear this a lot, but I prefer the 4-post, never had the slightest issue doing wheels , brake, axle work. I like having a surface to work on and hold the parts and tools. Guess it is just a personal preference deal.

adileo 12-06-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1960191)
I hear this a lot, but I prefer the 4-post, never had the slightest issue doing wheels , brake, axle work. I like having a surface to work on and hold the parts and tools. Guess it is just a personal preference deal.

Echo that Jerry.